Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Diffusion of Parental Responsibility: A Response to Melissa Harris-Perry


I recently posted to my Facebook this meme that's been circulating which includes the quote from Melissa Harris-Perry alongside her picture, then two quotes below from Adolf Hitler, alongside his picture. In the interest of being fair, I'm posting the video from which those quotes from the MSNBC host were taken.


I'll add that what she's saying sounds nice. Who can legitimately argue against society taking responsibility for the children? 

Children need to be taken care of! 

But here's my question: just because some other men abandon their children and create a vacuum which needs to be filled by other family members, teachers, other persons in the community, does that mean I need to "break through" this notion of my sons being mine? And if so, for what? So the community can raise my children also?

 The cure for what ails American education and child-rearing is not diffusion of responsibility throughout the community, where everyone (and no one) takes responsibility for the raising of children; the cure is mothers and fathers stepping up and taking responsibility for teaching, protecting, and providing for the children they've brought into this world. 

Listening to Melissa Harris-Perry, you would think this is the problem rather than the answer.

I'm not for abandoning orphans, or neglecting children whose parents are not instructing them. But does our entire nation have to turn into an orphanage in order to fix the problem?

"Investing in public education" would mean, for my family, taxing my income more in order to pay for someone else's child to be educated. But what if I need to keep that money for myself so I can educate my own children? 

My wife and I will educate our children at home, and spare them an inept and detrimental public education system. So we need money for curriculum, school supplies, field trips, education apps on the iPad, etc. When Melissa Harris-Perry takes $500 out of my pocket to pay for society's efforts to educate American children, that means I have $500 less to spend on educating my own. 

And let's just make this clear: I would spend that $500 far better than she or some bureaucrat would. And at least my wife and I aren't subtracting from that $500 to pay our personal salary, or to pay for metal detectors, or any number of other things which the public schools have to "invest" in.

What's being advocated here, I'm afraid, is further encroachment by our government on our personal liberties. You have to sell taking control over everyone else's children in a soft and compassionate way, but what happens when there's resistance to the idea?

In Germany, you have your children taken away, you're slapped with a fine, you're sent to jail. And according to the Justice Department, in America, the government that plants a flag on your children and tells you to get lost is in the right, and you as a parent are in the wrong if you don't salute and get marching.

We need to think critically of the implications here.

No comments:

Post a Comment